Monday Sales CRM - How to use the new CRM Monday.com recently released
Chances are that recently you may have been seeing the odd paid ad, social media post or article about a thing called Monday Sales CRM pop up in your feeds.
And you may have wondered (like I did when I first saw mention of it) whether this was in fact some totally new product from Monday.com or merely a new marketing spin designed to target more niche markers with their existing Monday Platform.
Monday Sales CRM is a completely new add-on product that Monday have recently released in conjunction with 3 other add-on Products (Monday Dev, Monday Projects and Monday Marketing). You need to sign up for a Monday Work Management to get access to the building blocks that make Monday work and then you add Monday Sales CRM (or whichever product you chose) to Work Management to get access to all the pre-built Boards, Dashboards and Automations that make up this product.
In this article we’re going to take a look at this new Monday product and how it works.
Monday Sales CRM is a completely new add-on product that Monday have recently released in conjunction with 3 other add-on Products (Monday Dev, Monday Projects and Monday Marketing).
In this article we’re going to take a look at this new Monday Sales CRM product and guide you through the basics of how to use it.
How to sign up for the easy to use Monday Sales CRM Platform from Monday.com
Users can choose to only add Monday Sales CRM to their base Work Management account or they can combine it with any or all of the other 3 Monday Products to get more features and functionality. If you are new to Monday and are primarily focused on sales and customer management, then I would recommend you start with just Monday Work Management + Monday Sales CRM and only consider adding other Products to it once you are certain that Monday is the best platform for you.
If you aren’t yet 100% convinced that the Monday ecosystem is the best solution for you and your business, the best bet is to sign up for a 14 day free trial and demo it that way. In Monday, free trials are automatically at the Pro Plan level, which is good because it gives you access to practically every feature and really lets you see what the platform is capable of.
If you feel you will need longer than 14 days to test the platform and don’t need all the features that the Pro tier offers then you might want to just sign up for the Individual Plan (free plan free forever). It is somewhat limited in features but has most of the key features you will need and will remove the time pressure of trialing a paid plan.
Once you have decided on a Trial or Plan, it’s time to sign up.
Note #2: Before you dive into this guide, you may wish to read another article I wrote about Monday’s features, pricing & information and whether or not I think it is good value. You can check out this article here.
Note #2: If your trial expires and you haven’t had time to fully test Monday, you can request an extension of your trial from Monday support.
Signing up to Monday Sales CRM
- Go to the pricing page here https://monday.com/pricing?force_pricing=products. (Note; all of the paid Monday plans are based on a minimum of 3 users and the pricing page will default to the annual pricing. Annual pricing will cost you less per month but you pay for a year in advance. If you are on the fence as to whether Monday is the right solution for you, make sure you check the monthly pricing as you will most likely want to stick to monthly pricing until you are 100% sold on the solution.
- Choose either the Individual Plan (free forever) or a Trial of any of the paid plans. They may have changed their approach but up until recently at least, and free trial of Monday.com always defaulted to the Pro level and the corresponding features. No credit card is required for Monday free trials so you won’t be charged when your trial ends.
- Enter your email OR use the “Continue with Google” Google Single Sign On option to sign up. If you choose Google SSO, you may be asked to enter your password and possibly even verify your identity (usually by logging into Gmail on your mobile phone and clicking on “Yes, it was me”) or your computer may have remembered your password and may validate your credentials automatically.
- Once you have created your account, you will then be asked a few onboarding questions by Monday so that the system can be somewhat personalised for you. But this part is fairly painless and straight forward so I’m not going to cover it here.
Monday.com CRM Features Overview
The Monday Sales CRM comes pre-built with everything you need to streamline your sales funnels and close deals faster. It allows you to customize every aspect of your sales flow, unify all customer data in one place to put an end to siloed data and automate manual work to save you time.
You can enter Leads manually or import them from Excel or Google Sheets. Or you can pull them in automatically via native integrations with a huge number of third party apps.
The Emails & Activities Widget makes emailing your Leads and Clients and logging meetings, calls and other notes a breeze. Email Templates in Monday are particularly powerful as you can add custom variables for almost any data related to a contact/item.
Because in Monday you can connect any one piece of data in one Board with one or multiple pieces of data in other Boards, each contact can be associated with an account and one or multiple Deals. This keeps all your data synced and connected and ensures that you have the full picture for each account, contact or deal, regardless of which Board you are in.
Although the default Boards are Leads, Accounts, Contacts etc, in Monday Boards can contain almost any type of data you can imagine and they are fully customizable.
You can add as many custom Column types as you can and also create multiple custom filtered and sorted Views of each Board for different users or applications.
There is even a built-in Quotes & Invoices Widget, which allows you to automatically flesh out quotes and invoices with data from your board to generate vital sales documents in seconds.
You can then share the quote or invoice via a link or download it as a PDF.
The dashboard pulls key data from all the Boards into one place where you can view the information in clear, colourful and easy-to-understand graphs and charts.
Monday.com’s Sales CRM also comes with the CRM Learning Center which contains a bunch of helpful videos
Last but not least, Monday Sales CRM platform helps automate almost any process you can think of, saving you huge amounts of time and money and reducing the chances of human error.
The Overview Section - see all your data (or just what you need/want) in one view
The Overview section is designed to help you see all of the information for one item in one place without having to scroll for miles and miles.
You can customise the Overview Section so that it displays all of the information you want to see (and none that you don’t).
As an example of the kind of info the Overview Section displays, let’s look at the Deals Board and the Overview Section for Deals.
By default, the Overview Section for Deals will show;
Deal stages for the item
A simple graphic representation of your sales pipelines allowing you to easiy see where each Deal is at in the sales cycle.
Marking a Deal as won will mark all the Deal Stages as done (green) with the final stage showing “Won”. Marking it as lost will turn all the Deal Stages red with the final stage showing “Lost”
If a Deal is marked as Won it gets moved to. the Closed Won Group in the Deals Board.
If it is marked as Lost it stays in the Active Deals Group (which is an oversight – it should get moved to a a Closed Lost Group).
In the Emails & Activities Widget you can;
- View previous emails sent to/from anybody who’s email address is included in the item.
- Create and reply to emails
- Use email templates with custom variables that auto-populate.
- See how many times an email was opened.
- Auto suggest email addresses for recipients based on previously sent emails.
- Log calls, meetings & notes
- Filter by activity type (email, call, meeting) and dates
- See when any email was sent and by whom.
The Emails & Activities Widget
This Widget shows a timeline view of all emails sent/received to/from the Item email address as well as calls, meetings and notes logged.
If there are any sub-items associated with the Deal, they will be displayed here.
The Related Contacts Widget
This Widget shows a timeline view of all emails sent/received to/from the Item email address as well as calls, meetings and notes logged.
Integrating your emails with Monday Sales CRM
In Monday Sales CRM (unlike Work Management and the other Products), the Emails & Activities Widget comes pre-installed in the Updates Section so you won’t need to add it.
All you need to do is open an Item to see and use the Emails & Activities Widget from the item view menu.
Not only can we set up automations to send self-customizing emails automatically, we can also trigger other automations based on email activity. For example, when a new email arrives from an email address in one of our email columns, Monday can automatically move the corresponding item to a Group.
(Optional). Allows you to see if an email was opened and if so, how many times it was opened. (Doesn’t track link clicks it seems). In the timeline view of the Emails & Actitivies widget, you can see all the emails sent and received, who sent each email and when and how many times it was opened.
You can add plain text or HTML email signatures right within Monday. If you are on the Pro or Enterprise you can turn off the Monday branding in your emails.
In the settings for the Emails & Activities Widget, you have the option to log emails sent from your Gmail or Outlook Inbox. You can choose to either log all emails sent into your Emails & Activities Timeline or you can choose only to log those that are BCCd to your custom Monday.com email address.
There is also the option to create a new contact if the recipient email address does not yet exist in your Monday.com account.
Automating your workflow in Monday.com
In Monday you can create, customise and use powerful automations and integrations to save time and avoid having to manually handle repetitive tasks in any workflow (and not just those related to emails).
How to create a new automation.
- Click on the “Automations” icon top right corner of any Board and it will open the Automation Center, which contains 3 tabs
- From here, if it isn’t pre-selected for you, click on the The Automations Centre tab to search, view or use a library of pre-built automations (you can also create your own Custom Automation/s here).
- To create your own Custom Automation, you can either choose and modify a template from the Automations Centre and customise it or build a Custom Automation completely from scratch.
Importing your contacts, leads or deals
You can import into Monday Sales CRM directly from Excel or any .CSV, .XLSX or .XLS files. There are 2 key methods;
- Importing items into an existing Board
- Importing items and creating a new Board with the items in it.
Here are the steps;
- In any Board in Monday, click on the blue “New items” button at the top of your Board just underneath the Board Views tabs. Notes; Depending upon the Board settings, the blue button may be labeled “New Deals”, “New items”, “New tasks” or something else entirely. If you wish to import the items into an already existing Board, you will want to open that Board and use the blue “New items” button there to import them.
- From the dropdown that opens up, choose the second option “Import deals”
- In the next window you can either click on “Click to browse” to browse for files to upload or you can drag a file to the window. This window also has a link to download a sample Excel file in case you need some help formatting your Excel/XSLX file so that the data gets mapped to the columns correctly.
- Once you have uploaded the file successfully, click the blue “Next” button
- Now you need to choose which column’s values will be used to create the item name, then click Next again.
- In the next window, check that the columns in Excel have been mapped to the correct corresponding columns in Monday. (If you don’t have the right type and quantity of columns in Monday to match the Excel file, you will need to escape out of the upload process and add the missing columns then start again).
- After you have mapped all your files, you then need to select from one of 3 options re how to deal with duplicate items;
- Create new items
- Skip items (choose the column that is used to check for duplicates)
- Overwrite existing items (choose the column that is used to check for duplicates)
Track and manage sales activities
The Activities board shows all the activities that are added using the Emails & Activities in the page.
Every time you add an activity through Emails & Activities, a new activity will be added to this board.
We can use the Activities Board to see account wide calls and meetings and we can view all the Deal, Lead or Contact data from right within each Activity in the Activities Board.
Collect leads directly into Monday Sales CRM
You can add a Form View to any Board and customise it to create a shareable embeddable web form that you can use to collect Leads (or any item) directly into a Board in your Monday Sales CRM account.
You can also integrate with other tools like Jotform, Facebook Leads, Typeform etc. Just click on the Integrations tab at the top right of the Board and choose and configure your preferred integration.
Generate Quotes & Invoices
- Simply open any Item in Item View and then click on the Quotes & Invoices tab at the top of the Overview Section.
- Add a name for the document
- Add a logo
- Fill in your company’s information on the left side (you only need to do this once – Monday remembers for future quotes and invoices.
- On the right hand side, select data from columns that already exist in the Board to pull in data automatically from the Board into the Quote or Invoice. (You can also pull in data that is stored in a different Board from the one you are in currently, as long as there is a Connected Board Column or Mirrored Column pulling the data from the secondary Board into the Board where you are creating the quote or invoice.
- Then enter your line items – name, quantity and per. unit cost. You can even add discounts, taxes or handling costs at the bottom.
- Monday will add it all up for you.
- Optional – add notes and a signature to the bottom of your quote or invoice.
- From the app you can click the Send button and then copy and share the link or you can download it to share it as a PDF.
Manage permissions and access to data
Consider Board Owners – can do anything on the Board
To make a user who has access to a Board the Admin/one of the Admins for the Board, just click the grey “invite” button top right-ish of the Board and then click on the greyed out crown icon next to the name of the person you want to make a Board Admin.
There are 4 Board Permission levels for subscribers;
- Updates only – self explanatory. They won’t be able to change anything except add updates.
- Edit by assignee – if you have a People Column in the board, you can select this option so that users can only edit items assigned to them.
- Edit content – users can change any column values, add new items and move items between Groups. But they won’t be able to change the columns or structure of the Board itself.
- Edit everything – says it all really.
You can restrict the ability of users to view or edit the contents of the column. Only users added in this setting (if it is on) will be able to view or edit the column.
Account permissions (Enterprise only)
With Account Permissions (only available on the Enterprise Plan) you’ll be able to control things like uploading files, adding Boards etc.
I will be reviewing the other Products in the new Monday lineup soon. So, if you would like to be notified when I have published reviews of Monday Marketer, Monday Projects, Monday Marketing and Monday Dev please sign up below to be updated.